Somatic (Body-centered) Psychotherapy
I believe there is an innate wisdom within each of us. Your body, mind, and spirit know how to heal. In somatic psychotherapy, we are about creating the compassionate space for honoring this innate wisdom.
This isn’t your “sit on the couch and talk” kind of therapy. We bring skillful ways of listening to the verbal and somatic “stories” of the nervous system. As we create space for such deep attention, we allow shifts to happen that support healing and wholeness.
We can address issues of stress, depression, anxiety, trauma, grief, family, life direction, work and spirituality. My intention to hold sacred space that is safe and supportive for you to deeply listen, compassionately allow these shifts to occur, and to sense the inner vibrancy available to you now. I deeply bow to the sense of wholeness that is already within you.
Lisa, one session with you has more profoundly shifted things within me than years of ‘talk therapy’.
What to Expect
- In our first session, I take a history, we have a conversation about what brings you to therapy and your hopes, and we talk about how we can work together. This is your opportunity to see how an integrative approach could look like for you. Plan for up to 70 minutes for the first session. When you leave, you’ll have a sense of the possibilities within you and our work together, and with practices that you can begin to weave into your everyday life.
- Contact me to schedule an appointment or to ask any questions you might have. I counsel clients in-person at the Friends’ Meeting House in Frederick, MD. Together we decide how often and when we will meet based on our treatment goals.
- All sessions are $175. As a licensed clinical social worker, my professional services qualify for patient-reimbursement under most insurance plans utilizing out-of-network benefits.
- People come to me who want to deepen their connection to their own heart, truth, dear ones, and our world. They know that living at the pace of “go, go, go” culture is toxic and cannot be sustained. They sense an inner desire to live with a deeper sense of ease, feeling nourished and resourced as they go about their day. They want to reconnect to their inner vibrancy and live their everyday lives from this place.
- My approach is first grounded in my own practice of listening, softening, and connecting through my meditation, spirituality, yoga, and somatic work. My approach is informed by my experience and training in Somatic Experiencing, attachment theory/approach, yoga therapy, and theology to create a sacred space for you for deep listening and integration.
- I believe the pace of our culture needs a radical shift and deep healing. And it begins with each of us – nourishing our nervous system, healing old patterns, connecting to our truths, and living in a compassionate way that honors ourselves, our children, and our world.
- My approach to counseling weaves together Somatic Experiencing, positive psychology, yoga, mindfulness, insight meditation, compassionate parenting, and feminine spirituality and leadership to support your healing, nourish your nervous system, deepen your connections, and honor your deepest self.
The First Step
- Simply contact me to ask questions and begin working together. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below.
Here are comments from recent psychotherapy clients:
This somatic (body-centered) approach was new to me. But after the talk you gave at…, I decided to work with you. Your guidance has taught me how to stay with activation in a skillful way (using your words!) and not fear it! I am more aware of my body and trust its wisdom.
As a medical professional, I appreciate you talking to me through the lens of neuroscience. I am learning more about my own nervous system and how to settle. I have the tools to be resourced.
“What used to trigger me, doesn’t – especially at home.”
“I have the inner strength and stability to stand in my power and take care of myself with compassion.”
“This work has been so gentle and yet so deep. It has deeply impacted my work as a psychotherapist and my presence with my clients and family.”
“Working with grief and anger that I never tapped into has been life-changing. There are layers that have dissolved….so gently. I am forever changed.”
MA, LCSW-C, RYT
I believe that delight is our true nature, compassion heals, and being in community with like-hearted people nourishes the soul. I believe that you embody your true power when you listen within. I believe that when you align everyday life with what is sacred to you, you live with an inner freedom. I believe that as we honor what delights our hearts, together we create more compassionate homes, communities, and world.
Decide it’s time to focus on YOU – your healing, your light shining. I’m alongside you.
~ Lisa McCrohan, MA, LCSW-C, SEP